Saturday, July 25, 2009

Just starting out


I'm new to this blogging affair so when I set this up I just ambled on about the first fabric related thing that popped into my head. It never occured to me to write something vaguely introductory, in part because I don't really expect anybody else to read this and I was completely surprised when my link below was noticed - I didn't know that would happen! Anyway, I haven't sewn for about 6 years but have recently been inspired to start again by all of the incredibly beautiful fabrics available these days. My previous projects were mainly made with op-shop fabrics, with the occasional really good sheet or tablecloth find but nothing that compares to the lovely things that are just a click away now. I started by buying two small pieces of liberty and a tiny stash of echino as a birthday present for myself earlier this month but then placed two or three more orders over the next couple of weeks. I now have quite a nice little stash of my own and am waiting on 6 (!) metres of Anna Maria Horner fabric for bedroom curtains. I'm also sitting on my maxed-out credit card trying not to order up a whole passel of Amy Butler - I'm trying to convince myself that I need to stop ordering random fat quarters and actually plan some projects. I have made a few things, the first being the bird above, made with some Amy Butler faves from the pattern at Spool - it has some rough bits (like the tail) but I love it and it was fun to make. I also whipped up this little ipod holder & hiding next to it a little travel tissue cover.



I made a couple of silly mistakes and there's some ugly stitching that I'd like to fix but it's not too bad. I'm now 1/2 way through a knitting needle roll for a friend's birthday and my next challenge is getting up the courage to rotary cut some of my fabric into coins for my first ever machine quilting project.

1 comment:

Red Pepper Quilts - Rita Hodge said...

Hi and welcome to Blogland! I love the fabrics you have chosen for your projects and I think I can even see some Heather Ross fabrics there! Good stash building, very nice indeed!

Rita